Friday 8 March 2013

Caitlin's first event is a blazing success

Post by Apprentice Community Safety Advisor Caitlin Alcock

I had my first opportunity to organise and run a community event this week.
Yesterday, (March 7) I organized for the Kitchen Fire Safety Unit to give a demonstration to members of the public who visited Wigan town centre for the food and drink festival.

With this already being a public event, we wanted to follow a similar message and highlight the dangers that can be caused by cooking as this is our main cause of house fires in Greater Manchester.
We were supported throughout the day by Green Watch crews from Wigan Fire Station.
Crew Manager Simon Connor kindly went the extra mile by not only providing demonstrations to the public, but also assisting me in running my first event.
Green Watch were fantastic with the public, they allowed the children to board the fire engine and gave them a tour around it several times throughout the day, again explaining and showing the public all the equipment.
Whilst we were there, we provided safety messages around cooking and also used the time to generate some Home Safety Checks with the crews.
The event was a great success and definitely raised a lot of awareness around what we were doing.
The shocked crowd watching the demo

Many people were shocked to see how quickly the fire spread in the Kitchen Fire Safety Unit.
We also made sure to try and reiterate the Service’s ‘ban the pan’ message.
Overall, I think I gained a lot of confidence from running my first event and I’m now thoroughly looking forward to starting on the next one.



No comments: