Monday 1 June 2015

My Journey so far....

Written by Apprentice Business Safety Advisor Chris Collar

My name is Chris Collar and I’m part of a 13 strong group of apprentices who have recently embarked on a 12-month journey with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service

Given that this is my first job, I have settled in really well and I’m learning the different aspects of work the Protection department take on board. I have had chance to go on visits and inspections with a number of colleagues and each has a world of knowledge behind them. I am enjoying my role as an Apprentice Business Fire Safety Advisor, and especially the technical aspects of the job. I have had the opportunity to see first-hand why maintaining fire exits in shops is so important to the safety of the public and the drastic consequences it can have for businesses and members of the public if the rules are not followed!


As part of the qualification we achieve throughout the year with The Manchester College, we also look at Community Fire Safety, I have worked with Adam and Alex who are also apprentices; we delivered home fire safety advice at Wythenshawe forum and delivered water safety advice as part of Safe4Spring.

I’m really looking forward to the future months with the organisation, taking in as much as I can.

No comments: