Monday 13 April 2015

My Journey from the Prince's Trust

Written by Community Safety Advisor Apprentice Robert Muir

My name is Robert Muir; I am 18 and I am an Apprentice Community Safety Advisor with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service. I would like to share with you my journey into the Fire Service.
I joined the fire service through a scheme called the Prince’s Trust. The Prince’s Trust is an employability course that last for 12 weeks. I was a member of Manchester Prince’s Trust Team 30 with Chris and George. They weren’t just team leaders, they were always there to speak to if I needed them or if I needed help. They made the group what it was. They made it a fun and friendly environment and it was by far one of the most influential experiences of my life. Without a doubt it has turned my life around completely. Before Prince’s Trust I was a bit of a recluse, stuck in a rut and going nowhere fast. Thanks to the encouragement from my team leaders and my fellow team members, I was crafted into a strong-willed passionate individual with a clear handle on life.


The best experience is almost too close to call but I would either say our week away on residential or the final presentation. I greatly enjoyed the residential due to the fact it brought me and my teammates closer together. We did so many activities such as zip lining and rowing but I also loved the final presentation. Don’t get me wrong I was still a nervous wreck but I channelled the nervousness and performed the presentation successfully. It was a big deal for me, realising how much I have actually changed, it was incredible. I even had my mum in tears.


Joining the Prince’s Trust was the best decision I ever made. Not only did it aid me in joining the Fire Service but it also crafted friendships. I have met so many amazing people and couldn’t thank them enough. It was an honour to do the course and is an even greater honour to be a member of such a prestigious organisation.

No comments: